The new Magical Town of Michoacán
Cotija has its roots in pre-Hispanic times, when it was inhabited by the Purépecha culture. During the colonial period, the region was conquered by the Spanish and established as an important agricultural and livestock center.
One of the main tourist attractions of Cotija is its colonial architecture. The Parish of San Pedro Apóstol is a beautiful example of this architectural style and is considered one of the historical treasures of the municipality. This church was built in the 16th century and has an impressive façade and beautiful altarpieces inside.
Another place of interest is the Main Square of Cotija, where visitors can enjoy a calm atmosphere and admire the colonial architecture of the surrounding buildings.
Cotija is also known for its gastronomy. It is the place of origin of Cotija cheese, a dry and salty cheese that is highly appreciated in Mexico and around the world. Visitors can taste and buy this famous cheese in local markets and cheese shops in the region.
In addition to its history and architecture, Cotija offers tourists beautiful natural landscapes. The region is surrounded by mountains, rivers and forests, making it an ideal place for outdoor activities such as hiking, biking and bird watching.
WE RECOMMEND YOU
- Visit the Parish of San Pedro Apóstol: This beautiful temple is one of the main attractions of Cotija. You can admire its colonial architecture, both outside and inside, with its carved altarpieces. In addition, you will be able to learn more about the religious and cultural history of the region.
- Taste the Cotija cheese: You cannot stop trying the famous Cotija cheese, originally from this region.
- You can visit the local cheese factories, where they will explain the production process and you will be able to try different varieties of this delicious dry and salty cheese.Tour the Main Plaza: Walking through the Main Plaza of Cotija is a charming activity. Here you can enjoy a quiet environment, surrounded by colonial buildings. You will also find the statue of José María Morelos y Pavón, an important leader of the independence of Mexico.
- Explore natural landscapes: Cotija is surrounded by beautiful natural landscapes. You can take walks or excursions in the nearby mountains, go into the forests and enjoy nature.
- You can also explore the rivers and enjoy activities such as fishing or picnicking in recreational areas.Get to know the local traditions: Cotija is a place where many traditions and cultural festivities are still preserved.
- Depending on the time of year, it is possible that you coincide with a celebration such as Holy Week, the patron saint festivities or events related to the music and typical dances of the region. Take the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture and enjoy these unique traditions.
These are just some of the activities you can do in Cotija. Remember that the hospitality of its people and the charm of its landscapes will make you live an unforgettable experience in this beautiful municipality of Michoacán.
- Dec 3, 2023 nubes 14° C
- Dec 4, 2023 lluvia ligera 13° C
- Dec 5, 2023 nubes 13° C
HOW TO GET FROM MORELIA TO COTIJA?
What is the cheapest way to get from Morelia to Cotija?
The cheapest way to get from Morelia to Cotija de la Paz is to bus which costs $280 – $480 and takes 4h 20m.
What is the fastest way to get from Morelia to Cotija de la Paz?
The quickest way to get from Morelia to Cotija de la Paz is to taxi which costs $2400 – $2900 and takes 3h 4m.
Is there a direct bus between Morelia and Cotija de la Paz?
No, there is no direct bus from Morelia to Cotija de la Paz. However, there are services departing from Morelia and arriving at Cotija de la Paz via Zamora. The trip, including transfers, takes approximately 4h 20m
How far is it from Morelia to Cotija de la Paz?
The distance between Morelia and Cotija de la Paz is 159 km. The distance by road is 216.9 km.
How do I travel from Morelia to Cotija de la Paz without a car?
The best way to get from Morelia to Cotija de la Paz without a car is to bus which takes 4h 20m and costs $280 – $480.
How long does it take to get from Morelia to Cotija de la Paz?
It takes approximately 4h 20m to get from Morelia to Cotija de la Paz, including transfers.
Can I drive from Morelia to Cotija de la Paz?
Yes, the driving distance between Morelia to Cotija de la Paz is 217 km. It takes approximately 3h 4m to drive from Morelia to Cotija de la Paz.
Where do I catch the Morelia to Cotija de la Paz bus from?
Morelia to Cotija de la Paz bus services, operated by Primera Plus, depart from Morelia station.
What companies run services between Morelia, Zamora and Cotija de la Paz?
Autobuses de Occidente
Bus from Morelia to Zamora
Cada 4 horas
Autobús desde Zamora a Cotija de la Paz
5 al día
Alma de México
Alma de México
Alma de México
Alma de México